Monday, February 28, 2011

White Dresses, Good Friends, and Pumpkin Cookies

Yes, my friends, that is a Silpat in the above picture. My Silpat. My very own to have and to hold and to bake lots of yummy things on!

I spent the weekend in Dayton, OH with some of my favorite people: Ben and Bekah, and Danny. I pretty much owe my life to them. Not only did they (and another friend, Jacob) save me from certain death when I (purposely) jumped off a 45 foot cliff into a lake and broke my tail bone and could not walk for a day, they also provide awesome conversation and I know that they will be there if/when I need them.

For 3 consecutive days, I did not have to work, so it was obvious that Bekah and I should go up to Dayton to visit her beau, Ben, and shop for wedding dresses. We were quite succesful in both endeavors (Bekah's dress is perfection). While we grocery shopped for dinner (Basil Chicken Parmigiana, recipe to come in a few weeks), we happened upon a lonely Silpat that was on sale. I was tempted, but stood my ground due to my strict budget (aka: my need to spend the majority of my money on transportation, rent, and organic dairy products). Then Ben, like the great guy that he is, insisted on putting the Silpat into his grocery cart. I must say, I am still a little sheepish about it, but very thankful. Yay.

To celebrate the homecoming of my Silpat, I made these soft cookies (also, I have a bunch of canned pumpkin that is sitting on my book shelf next to my bed and just asking to be eaten).

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from Gooseberry Patch's Family Favorite Recipes
I made these on Monday afternoon and they were gone before lunch on Tuesday. Pretty sure the kids ate these faster than any other cookies I've made (including chocolate chip).

1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour (optional: 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use 1.5 teaspoons if I am using cheap cinnamon)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat sugar and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla, beating until blended; set aside.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl; gradually add to shortening mixture, beat well. Fold in chocolate chips.
Drop by large, rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and browned on bottom. Remove to cooling racks.
Makes 2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment