Thursday, February 3, 2011

OMS Bread!


I wasn't planning on posting this recipe, but since several people have asked about it and a.) don't own a printer and b.) am too lazy to write it out for them and c.) don't know some of their emails/facebooks, I have decided to post it here and give them the blog url.

The original creator of this bread, The Bunnery in Jackson Hole, WY, calls it the OSM Bread. However, there was a missions group at my college called One Mission Society, OMS, and so I can't help but call this OMS Bread. This recipe was adapted by Proof of the Pudding blog in its 11-20-08 post (www.proofofthepudding.wordpress.com). It is so delicious. I recommend it for anything from toast for breakfast to a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch (good quality ham and cheese, of course), or just with butter and honey for a snack.

Just a note: The original recipe calls for canola or safflower oil, but I use olive oil. Much like my flour collection, the variety of oils in my possession is pretty sad, but is growing with time. Also, I just love the taste of olive oil.

Oh, and if you use an 8x4 loaf pan, it gives you a taller loaf. I don't have one, so I just fold up some of my used/saved tinfoil and make my 9x5 more like a 8x5. -Yes, I save my tinfoil. I also wash and re-use my plastic baggies. Got a problem with that?

Oat, Millet, Sunflower Bread (OMS Bread)
1 package (2 1/2 teaspoons) dry active yeast
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup canola or safflower oil
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup millet
2 cups bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
3-4 cups whole wheat flour

If you wish to halve the recipe for one loaf, like I do b/c I have no room in my freezer and not enough stomach to eat 2 loaves:
1 1/8 cups lukewarm water
1 1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
1/4 cup honey
1/4 canola or safflower oil
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/8 cup sunflower seeds
1/8 cup millet
1 cup bread flour
1 1/2 to 2 cups whole wheat flour

Mix together the lukewarm water and honey in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and stir until dissolved. Allow the yeast to proof for 5-10 minutes, until the yeast rises to the surface and starts to foam.

Stir the oil into the yeast mixture. Then add half (1 cup if whole recipe, 1/2 cup if half) of the bread (or all-purpose) flour and half (2 cups if whole recipe, 1 cup if half) of whole wheat flour and beat with a wooden spoon or the paddle attachment until the batter is smooth and glossy. Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.

Add the salt, oatmeal, sunflower seeds and millet to the bowl; stir down the dough and blend in. Add the remaining cup of bread flour and stir well. Gradually add in the remainder of the whole wheat flour. When the dough becomes too stiff to stir, turn out onto a lightly floured counter and knead for about 10 minutes (or, switch to the dough hook on your mixer — this will take less time), until the dough is soft, but not sticky. Place the dough in a large bowl that has been oiled, cover and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.

Grease two 9x5 loaf pans well. Punch down the dough and knead lightly and briefly to deflate. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a loaf, and place a loaf in each pan. Allow the loaves to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

About 20 minutes before you bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the loaves for about 40 minutes, until the loaves are nicely browned and sound hollow when tapped (the internal temperature should be around 200°F). Allow the loaves to cool in the pans for a few minutes, then remove from pans and let them cool completely.

Yield: Two 9″x5″ loaves (Or one, if you did a half recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment