Monday, February 21, 2011

Blueberry Banana Wake Up.

Ever since I tried making a smoothie with banana, blueberries, milk, coconut, lime juice, and ginger, I've been trying to figure out how I can put those ingredients into pretty much everything. My answer to my blue-banana-coconut-ginger-lime craving this morning was oatmeal. Mmmmm. There's pretty much only good things in this! Calcium to fight osteoporosis, complex carbohydrates for energy, blueberries for antioxidants, banana and coconut for yumminess, lime and ginger for some help waking up.

There were Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in the oven for the kids when I started work today (which, incidentally, taste nothing like cinnamon rolls to me, but are tasty anyway, especially when topped with homemade orange-mascarpone icing), so I was pretty glad to have something that would keep me full and satisfied a tad longer than cinnamon rolls, in addition to being yummy enough to distract me from the oh-so addictive cinnamon roll icing. Ok, so I did give in and lick the spoon after icing the little boy's roll, big deal =).


Blueberry Banana Oatmeal for One
1/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup milk
1/2 frozen banana, defrosted/mashed
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon coconut (unsweetened, shredded)
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon of lime juice, optional

Mix together in 2-cup microwave-safe bowl, microwave on high for 2 minutes. Let cool and thicken for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm making this for breakfast in the AM =) Your cooking blogs make me look forward to the day that grad school ends for me and I can take the time to try new dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh awesome! How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was delish...no coconut in the house, but I quite enjoyed it....and found a new use for the grocery sack full of bananas in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete