Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Like a Fat Kid Loves Cake

Allow me to introduce to you my new favorite kitchen tool: the 6" offset spatula. He holds up even against tough situations (such as icings that have gotten a tad hard because you left them to read a book to the kids) and cleans up beautifully.

I considered the fact that I could probably save some money and just use a basic knife to ice the cake and spread the filling, but that is just not as fun and I intend to completely master the art of cake decorating and take over the world by charming it with my beautiful cakes. Obviously, an offset spatula is a necessity.



Here is what my off-set spatula and I made -a banana cake with a banana creme filling and chocolate ganache frosting. I brought it to that weekly get-together at Sarah and Nick's and there was none left to bring home =).


There was plenty of left over ganache, so I combined it with two children under the age of 5, and a pinch each of creativity and patience. The result was yummy, though not very pretty, truffles. Mostly because the ganache melted in our hands and then just turned into goop when we covered in melted chocolate.

I learned my lesson: next time I will freeze the ganache for 45-60 minutes after forming into balls, then stick a tooth pick in each one to hold and drizzle the melted chocolate coating over the each one, turning as I go to make a smooth and even coating.

Of course, one must sprinkle them with coconut or almonds to make them pretty and yummy. Mmmm, almonds.



Banana Cake with Banana Filling and Chocolate Ganache Icing
Fyi, before leveling the layers of my cake, I wrap them in cling wrap and place them in the freezer for an hour to make them easier to work with. Also, I just use a large bread knife to level them, nothing special. (Hmmm, a cake wire is yet another thing I need to make my world-conquering cakes).

CAKE:
This is my momma's recipe. She swears my dad would ask for it almost every week when I was little.
And yes, it is from a mix, I know. However much of an abomination a cake mix is, this cake really doesn't take like a cake mix cake.
My mom would top it with homemade cream cheese icing and sprinkle with coconut, but I decided to take a different route.

Make yellow cake mix according to directions, minus 1/4 cup water
add 1 cup bananas mashed
1/8 tsp baking soda
and 1/2 cup nuts if desired
Bake as directed on box

FILLING:
I found this online, not sure who to attribute it to.

7oz Marshmallow Fluff
1 package Banana Instant Jello Pudding Mix
1 cup milk, more if needed
Make the instant pudding according to package directions, but with 1 C milk instead of the full amount required (add more in small increments if needed)
Use a mixer to combine the banana pudding with the marshmallow fluff.
It thickens some once placed in the refrigerator and is a really nice consistency.

ICING/GANACHE:
This recipe can be found in The Cake Bible, which I received from a friend's parents. It's probably from the 1980's and his parents were considering it throwing it away, but gave it to me instead =).

12 oz bittersweet chocolate (60% cocoa; I used Ghirardelli morsels)
1 2/3 cup sour cream
In a double boiler set over hot water or in a microwave on high power, stirring every 10 seconds, melt the chocolate. Remove from the heat and add the sour cream. Stir with a rubber spatula until uniform in color. If the pan feels warm, transfer to a bowl.
Use at a once or store, and when ready to use soften by placing the bowl in a water bath or a microwave for a few seconds, stirring gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment