Monday, February 14, 2011

Chocolate Mousse for Two


Nothing is coincidence, which is why it is fate that my heavy whipping cream's expiration date is February 14, 2011. The universe was asking me to make something delicious for Valentine's Day and I, as any good universal citizen would, was happy to answer the call with a chocolate mousse garnished with strawberries.

I know it's weird, but I kind of like Valentine's Day, even when I am single. In fact, the only time I had a horrible V-day was when I was in a relationship. Sometimes I feel like there is too much pressure on people to make February 14 some important, meaningful occasion and all of that just ruins the day. Really, it's just a day to be reminded to slow down, take a break from the busy pace of life, and spend some quality time with someone.

As a single person, I view Valentine's Day as a fun day that gives me an excuse to have some good friends over and eat well. Valentine's Day does not mean gorging myself on cheap chocolate; I'd much rather have a small bit of something decadent, which is why I chose chocolate mousse.

Confession: I am going to the local coffee house, Main and Maple, with a few girls to take advantage of their Valentine's Day Cupcake Decorating Extravaganza and am keeping the mousse all for myself. I have no regrets.


Chocolate Mousse for Two
(Adapted from Tyler Florence's Chocolate Mousse for 6)
*Warning: mousse contains raw eggs
*Also, this makes a small serving, about half a cup. I recommend tripling the recipe if you want 4 large servings.

1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large egg, separated
1/6 teaspoon cream of tartar (a scant 1/4 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon+1 teaspoon sugar, plus 2 teaspoons sugar
1/6 cup heavy cream, cold (2 tablespoons, 2 teaspoons)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (peppermint, rum, or almond would also be yummy)
Optional: strawberries or raspberries and a little whip cream for garnish
Put the chocolate and butter in a medium-size microwave bowl and microwave in intervals of 15 seconds, stirring in between, until butter and chocolate have completely melted and combined. Set aside and let cool slightly. Separate egg, reserve the egg white in another bowl, and whisk egg yolk into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Set aside.

Take the bowl with the egg white and beat until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 tablespoon+1 teaspoon sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.

In a chilled bowl, beat the heavy cream until it begins to thicken a little. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar and the vanilla extract (or w/e extract you want) and continue beating until the cream holds soft peaks.

Now that you've got the three elements prepared, put it all together. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Then, fold in the whipped cream. Take care not over work the mousse or it will be heavy. Divide the mousse between 4 individual glasses. Cover and chill for several hours. Garnish with whipped cream and fruit before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment