Saturday, July 23, 2011

Florida+Me=Seafood for dinner!




Growing up, I lived a mere 45 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean, but somehow seafood never had much of a hold on me, that is, until I moved to Kentucky. Now when I come home, all I can think about is how I "need" to eat seafood.
The only bummer is that my dad and sister are not big fans of it, so I try to make seafood dishes that are easy for both of them to adapt to their liking. Fish tacos are great because they use white fish (pleasing my dad) and you can easily substitute beans or chicken for the fish (making my sister happy).
If you prefer, you can marinade your fish and shrimp in a citrus mix or anything you like (tequila?), but I never feel like marinades add much flavor when you consider how much work and time goes into them.
Anyway, hope you are enjoying your summer. I am loving Orlando and being so close to the beach. I went up to Daytona last night with a new friend and enjoyed a mahi mahi sandwich while watching the ocean -something close to heaven on earth. The only thing that would make it better is if I find a morning yoga class on the beach (but this is my vacation and I am not about to get up early).
Fish frying up.

Simple Fish and Shrimp Tacos Serves about 6
2 lbs. shrimp*, peeled and de-veined, un-tailed, sliced in half if they are too large to fit inside a taco
1.5 lbs. fish (cod, tilapia, catfish, flounder – any white flaky fish you like), cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
20-25 corn tortillas, warmed
Lime wedges, for garnish (do not skip! A squeeze of fresh lime is essential for a good fish and shrimp taco)
Avocado wedges, for garnish
Pico de gallo, for garnish
Sour cream or plain greek yogurt, for garnish.
*I buy frozen, pre-cooked shrimp, so if you are like me, the only thing you need to do is to thaw your shrimp according to the directions on the package and take off the tails.
To make the breading for the fish, combine the panko, flour, salt, chili powder, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
Prepare two large skillets: one for the shrimp and one for the fish. Heat each over medium-high heat with a little oil to keep them from burning.
Dip the fish in the breading, then add to the hot oil in the pan, frying in batches for 2 minutes or so on each side, until golden and cooked through. Remove the cooked fish from the pan with a slotted spatula and set on another plate, then cover with foil to keep warm.
For the shrimp, cook them (in batches, depending on how big your skillet is) over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, until pink and cooked through (they will probably curl up). Place them on another plate and cover with foil until ready to serve.
When you are ready to serve, heat your tortillas in the oven or in a skillet so they are no longer completely soft, fill with the shrimp and/or fish, and top with your favorite toppings and be sure to serve with margaritas.

No comments:

Post a Comment