Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bread Pudding



So my this bread pudding was definitely my pre-run snack. Believe it or not, I actually was feeling quite good at the end of my 7 mile run through horse country. I was even rewarded with the sight of these beautiful horses at the end. Of course, I stopped in at the Windy Corner Market and got some mango peach sweet tea to help with my recovery (I really like sugar).

Anyway, here's a recipe for this deliciousness. Feel free to serve with vanilla icecream and any warm, sugary, rum-filled syrup concoction of your choice.

Also, if you cut the cream down to 1 cup, it comes out more like a baked french toast, which I highly recommend for breakfast (I accidentally did that to one my trials with this recipe.)9 large croissants

Bourbon Chocolate Bread Pudding
Adapted from Southern Living
  • 9 large croissants
  • ⅓ cup bourbon
  • 1 ½ cups golden chocolate chips (go up to 2 if you really want a lot of chocolate)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1 ½ cups sugar
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
    Slice croissants in half lengthwise; tear bottom halves of croissants into small pieces. Layer croissant pieces evenly in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Place croissant tops, crust sides up, on top of chocolate chips.

    Whisk together eggs and sugar. Whisk in bourbon, cream, vanilla, and salt. Slowly pour mixture over croissant tops (may want to do a bit at a time, allowing time for it to soak in); press bread to absorb liquid. Cover; chill 1 hour.

    Place dish into a larger pan. Pour hot water into larger pan, filling half full.

    Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake 15 more minutes. Remove from oven, and remove dish from water pan.
*You can halve this and make it in a 9x9 pan if you do not have a pan bigger than a 9x13 to put the water bath in.


No comments:

Post a Comment