Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tastes Like a Restaurant

Leaving Florida and it's delicious seafood is always hard, so I decided to make my own seafood dish. The original recipe for this, by Ina Garten, is supposed to feed 6 people, but I doubled the shrimp and still feel like it only feeds 4. Maybe that's just the seafood-lover in me.

This recipe comes together so quickly (20-25 minutes), is super yummy, and would totally be a legit dish to serve to guests. After getting home from the gym last night, I only had 45 minutes to eat and get dressed up for a party. I was able to make this, eat, and still have a full 12 minutes to get dressed and put on make-up. Definitely a winning recipe to me.

I boiled the water for the pasta while putting together the butter and defrosting the shrimp. By the time I finished the butter and prepping the shrimp, I put the pasta in the boiling water at the same time I put the shrimp dish in the oven. With about 4 minutes left on the pasta, I tossed in some frozen green beans into the pasta and boiling water. As a result, the shrimp, pasta, and green beans were all ready at the same time.

This dish went perfectly with the homemade carrot cupcakes and mascarpone icing that I had made earlier in the day (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/carrot-cupcakes-with-mascarpone-icing.html)


Shrimp Scampi, adapted from Ina Garten

Serves 4

Ingredients
40 jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined (I used frozen, pre-cooked, so I just defrosted them)
3 tablespoons good olive oil (really, why would you buy anything but GOOD olive oil?)
2 tablespoons dry white wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon wet garlic
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 1/2 teaspoons parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed rosemary
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 large egg yolk
2/3 cup bread crumbs
fresh green beans and linguini, for serving

Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the olive oil, wine, salt, and pepper to taste. Allow to sit at room temperature while you make the butter and garlic mixture.
In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, and bread crumbs until combined.
Starting from the outer edge of a 14-inch oval gratin dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until hot and bubbly. If you like the top browned, place under a broiler for 1 minute. Serve with fresh, blanched green beans and whole grain linguine for a delicious, fairly nutritious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment