Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sweet Potatoes!

My desire for a sweet potato pie began around New Year's when I was running at the gym and thinking about meals to make -yes, I know, what a time to be thinking about food. It makes sense though, I mean, I gotta fuel my body after running 6 miles and lifting weights, right?
Anyway, I got this idea for chicken burgers and carrot fries with a glass of milk for dinner, then sweet potato pie for dessert. I have been searching through sweet potato pie recipes ever since (ie, two weeks).

I didn't make the chicken burgers (yet), but I did make a sweet potato pie =). I made it Monday and it was gone by this afternoon. Not bad, considering it's only 3 adults and 2 children under the age of 5 who have been eating it.

It was delicious and I will totally make it again, although I might cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup. Anyway, I totally recommend this recipe. I found it online. My boss, who told me she does not even like sweet potatoes, loved it.

P.S.
All this sweet potato pie made me want to make sweet potato biscuits and sweet potato creme brulee. Who knows if I will ever actually get around to doing that.



Sweet Potato Pie
Ingredients
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (about 3)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I mixed my own)
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 T of lemon juice in a 1/2 cup measuring cup, then filled the rest in with milk)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Mix together mashed sweet potatoes, butter or margarine, and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, flour, and salt. Mix in spices. Add to sweet potato mixture and stir well.
Mix together buttermilk and baking soda. Add to sweet potato mixture and stir well. Mix in vanilla extract. Pour filling into pastry shell.
Bake in preheated oven for 70 minutes, until set in center.




No comments:

Post a Comment