Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dutch Apple Pancake for One



Due to the fact that I woke up late and decided to work out in the morning today, I didn't have breakfast until 1:30pm. That means it is now 3:30pm and I am ready for a light lunch. An apple pancake sounds perfect on this cold and overcast Sunday afternoon. It is still in oven as I write this, but it is puffing up perfectly. I will add a picture when it take it out, then I will proceed to read The Journey of Desire by John Eldredge in my over-sized armchair/rocking chair. I might fall asleep though, so coffee might be in my immediate future too.

Before baking


After baking =)


Dutch Apple Pancake for One. Adapted from William-Sonoma.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 apple
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 flour
1 tablespoon wheat germ*completely optional, can be substituted for oat bran or milled flax seed
Dash of salt
Directions:
Preheat an oven to 400F.
In a small fry pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the apple, cinnamon and granulated sugar and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the apple begins to soften and brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
In a bowl, using a whisk, beat the egg. Add the milk and whisk until blended. Sift the flour, wheat germ, and salt into the egg mixture and whisk until just blended.
Place the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a small cast iron skillet or oven-proof fry pan and place in the oven until melted (my oven was still pre-heating at this point). Once butter is melted, take pan out and whisk the egg mixture into the pan. Arrange the apple slices evenly on top. {Place back into the oven and bake until the pancake is browned and puffed up, 15 to 20 minutes (mine only took 15, but my oven cooks everything faster than any other oven I have seen). Dust with confectioners sugar or drizzle with agave nectar and serve immediately.

All ready to eat =)

1 comment:

  1. I'm considering making this with whole wheat pastry flour, or at least half all-purpose, half whole wheat pastry. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete