Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Strawberry Season

After hanging out with some good friends on New Year's Eve, it was time for me to drive back up to Kentucky to my new "home." Due to my desire to still want to spend time with college friends, my need for cheap rent, and the predicament of having no job and grad schools not starting until the fall, I am living in the guest room of the family for whom I nanny. I have almost everything I need in my little room: a tv, a small fridge, a nice chair, my bed and dresser (of course), my own bathroom, and even my own entry.

When I do don't make dinner for the family, I like to make dessert. The kids (ages 2 and 5) love to help me bake. As my mom reminded me before I left for Kentucky, strawberry season, as well as citrus season, is upon us. In accordance, the dessert I made yesterday was my mom's strawberry pie. Next week's will be a key lime pie, but I am going to wait just for the right Floridian menu to include it in, or maybe just have it with BBQ, since I love my BBQ.


My Mother's Easy Strawberry Pie

Ingredients
1 pie crust (9 inch, already baked)
3/4 c water
3/4 c sugar
3 tablespoons (level) cornstarch
Add one small box of jell-o
1 quart of fresh, washed, sliced, hulled strawberries
Directions
Mix water, sugar, and cornstarch in saucepan on stove over medium or medium-high heat, cook until really thick and clear (will not really boil, but will usually make one big bubble at a time), remove from heat.
Add one small box strawberry jell-o (do not use sugar free) and stir in.
Add and mix in strawberries, pour mixture into prepared pie crust, set in fridge for an hour or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment