Friday, September 9, 2011

Cream Scones with Lemons and Blackberries


Despite school requiring a ton of reading (18 hours last week) and working 16 hours, in addition to trying to keep up a social life and make it to the gym 5 times a week, baking and cooking has definitely not been cut out of my life. I actually feel more compelled to do some experimenting in the kitchen now than when I was less busy. I suppose it's a good way for me to express myself creatively and relax.
Of course, experimenting usually means trying new recipes. I must admit, I have tried some major fails lately. One being the Melon Fool from the Mayo Clinic. If I had followed my gut instincts that said, "that is waaaay too much melon" and "if you boil 1/4 cup water and 2 T sugar for 5 minutes, it will caramelize, not turn into a syrup," the recipe might have turned out well, but alas, I followed the recipe. Now I have caramelized lemon sugar stuff and a lemon smoothie. Definitely not a melon fool. Anyway, I will now stop complaining about badly written recipes and give you the recipe for the delicious scones that my friends and I made the other day/
Blackberry and Lemon Cream Scones
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted from America's Test Kitchen Cookbook
2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour, preferably a low-protein brand such as Gold Medal or Pillsbury
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup frozen blackberries, chopped into halves or so
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup heavy cream
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425°F.
2. Place flour, baking powder, sugar, zest and salt in large bowl or work bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Whisk together or pulse six times.
3. If making by hand, use two knives, a pastry blender or your fingertips and quickly cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few slightly larger butter lumps. Stir in blackberries and lemon juice. If using food processor, remove cover and distribute butter evenly over dry ingredients. Cover and pulse 12 times, each pulse lasting 1 second. Add currants and pulse one more time. Transfer dough to large bowl.
4. Stir in heavy cream with a rubber spatula or fork until dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.
5. Form dough into roughly 16 balls, about 3 tablespoons each (or into whatever shape your heart desires)
6. Place balls on ungreased baking sheet and bake until scone tops are light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment