Monday, November 7, 2011

Simple Pumpkin Soup



  • It's Fall! The colors are gorgeous, the air is crisp, and the days are perfect for enjoying a game of catch or a nice run at the arboretum. In fact, I actually tried honing my baseball throwing skills while babysitting the other day. It was a wonderful! I forgot how much fun hanging out with kids is and how it reminds me to slow down and not take life for granted. 
  • The perfect way to not take life for granted is a bowl of soup with a slice of homemade bread. When I was trying to think of an easy and affordable meal to serve at church last week, I was reminded of pumpkin soup. I had never heard of such a thing as pumpkin soup until this year, but I love pumpkin and had to try it. This recipe is so easy! If you are looking for a good soup appetizer for this Thanksgiving, I highly recommend this one. Next time I make it, I am going to try it with a rind of Parmesan cheese cooking in the pot (I will remove it before I serve the soup).  Feel free to let me know if you get a chance to throw a cheese rind into the mix before I do!
  • Pumpkin Soup
    Adapted from All*You
    Makes 4-5 servings
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • small onion, finely chopped
  • (15 oz.) cans solid packed pumpkin
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and cook, stirring often until very soft, about 8 minutes. Add pumpkin, water, milk, syrup, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, whisking often. (Soup can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool and then cover and chill. Bring to a simmer before serving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment