Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Adventures with Spaghetti... Squash


I have got to improve my picture taking skills
(or get a better camera than the one on my phone)


Despite that I promised a month of pasta, I have somehow only gotten around to making a fake: spaghetti squash. Seriously, it is so easy to let kids think it is pasta. I really will get around to satisfying my pasta craving eventually. Tomorrow is supposed to be mozzarella-stuffed meatball night with my mom, so there's my motivation right there. I haven't seen her since Christmas and she hasn't been up to Kentucky since my freshman year of college, so there will be lots of good food and good shopping for the next 2 days.

My mom has never had spaghetti squash, but neither had I before tonight. I am thinking about tossing the left-over squash (plain squash that did not go in the gratin) with some bow-tie pasta, feta cheese, fresh tomato slices, olives, asparagus, and balsamic vinegar. I'll let you know if that plan comes to fruition. At this rate, it will be a miracle if I get around to those mozzarella turkey meatballs.

Spaghetti Squash Gratin
Serves 4 as a main dish. I suggest serving with some fresh bread.
Adapted from NYTimes

1 spaghetti squash, about 3 pounds
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 large eggs
1/2 cup low-fat milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (1/4 cup basil leaves)
1 cup cheese, grated (whatever you have on hand, I used a combo of mozzarella and cheddar and Gruyère)
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino romano
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Meat/Red pasta sauce, optional (but highly recommended)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half ("hot dog" style). Place spaghetti squash, cut-side down, in a large baking dish or pan (I used a 9x13) and pour 1/4 inch of water into the pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from the heat, and allow the squash to cool until you can handle it. Remove the seeds and discard. Scoop out the flesh, and place in a bowl. Run a fork through the flesh to separate the spaghetti-like strands, then chop coarsely. Measure out 4 cups squash. (Use whatever remains for another dish, or freeze.)

2. Oil a 2-quart gratin or baking dish. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet, and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about five minutes. Add the garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds to a minute until fragrant. Add the squash. Cook, stirring often, for five minutes until the strands of squash are a little more tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat.

3. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the milk, salt (about 1/2 teaspoon), pepper and basil. Stir in the squash mixture and the cheese, and combine well. Scrape into the baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs, Parmesan/pecorino over the top.

4. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until nicely browned and sizzling. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve hot, warm or room temperature. Top with a meaty red pasta sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment