Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Raw, vegan, chocolate power bars!

As school really kicks into high gear, I find myself having less and less time to plan meals and eating more and more power/protein/snack bars. Combine my love for protein bars (ask my first college roommate, I had an entire dresser drawer devoted to them) with my food processor that I just found on craigslist, and you get lots of experiments with all sorts of [sometimes-whacko] grab-n-go bars. This particular recipe is from Enlightened Cooking and definitely wins my approval: easy and yummy.




Chocolate Power Bars
2 cups raw almonds (skins on)
1 pound pitted soft dates (two 8oz bags is usually how I find them)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (not Dutch process) OR raw cacao powder (for strictly raw eaters)
1/4 cup raw wheat germ (toasted is fine if you are not strictly raw)
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds (flaxseed meal)

Place almonds in a medium bowl. Fill bowl with cold water (preferably filtered, but tap is fine) to cover the almonds. Let the almonds soak for 3 to 4 hours. Drain the almonds and pat dry with a clean dish cloth.

Pulse almonds in food processor until finely ground. Add the dates and pulse until finely chopped and the mixture begins to resemble a thick "dough." Add the cocoa powder, wheat germ, and flaxseed meal. Process until blended.

Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with foil (seriously do this, it makes it so much easier to remove the bars). With clean, wet hands, press the bar mixture into the pan. Place in the freezer for at least an hour. Cut into 12 bars. Wrap each in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator (though they need no refrigeration when packed in a lunch or gym bag).



Note: roughly 260 calories per bar, if you are curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment