Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oatmeal Layer Brownies

Does anyone else have an obsession with regional cook books? Specially Kentucky cook books? I only have three right now, but I can easily think of at least two more that I would love to have in my collection. Does Kentucky even have that much of a cuisine style to justify more than one book?

-Apparently it does, and I am the consumer that proves it. I love this latest one I acquired. It's called "Beyond the Fence: A Culinary View of Historic Lexington." Every one of its recipes that I have tried so far is just delicious. I especially love the recipe for peach pie (I might put it up here if I like the peaches at the farmers market this weekend). If you are looking for a good cook book and are in the Kentucky area, I definitely suggest this. You can find it at a number of places, including Joseph Beth and the Windy Corner Market.

The recipe for oatmeal brownies is not exactly what I think of as a "traditional brownie" because the chocolate is concentrated into a layer, instead of being mixed through out. But seriously, don't let that fool you. These seemingly oat-y bars will satisfy even the biggest choco-holics.

Look! I actually took an ingredients picture. Maybe, if you are really lucky, I might someday actually take pictures throughout the cooking/baking process like a "real" food blogger.


Oatmeal Layer Brownies
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 (12oz) package chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Stir in oats. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir until well mixed. Gradually add dry misture to butter mixture, stirring until well mixed. Spread 1/2 of mixture in a lightly greased 9x13 pan.

In a glass bowl, microwave chocolate chips, condensed milk and butter for 1 minute on high. Stir. If not smooth, microwave again on high for 30 seconds more and stir (repeat if needed). Stir in vanilla. Pour chocolate filling on top of oatmeal butter mixture in pan. Using a spoon or your fingers, crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture and dot/drop onto the top of the chocolate.

Bake 25-30 minutes until oatmeal mixture is beginning to brown on top. Cool completely and cut in 2x2 inch squares. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Next time I'm in Lexington, I'll see if I can bring along some of my family's regional cookbooks--we have a ton between my mom and grandmother! Perhaps I can visit and you can copy down a few recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds like a plan! =)

    ReplyDelete