Sunday, August 14, 2011

Easy Red Beans (and Cornbread!)

Do you listen to any NPR or PRX or such? If you don't, I highly recommend you stop what you are doing and go do some exploring of some seriously good stuff. Earlier this week I was listening to Snap Judgement (one of my new favorites) and the host was telling a story that involved him eating red beans when he was a kid. I just couldn't get the thought of red beans out of my head after listening to the show, so I decided to make some. I think this is one of my new favorite dinners. It took just half an hour to come together and all of it was made from scratch (well, the beans were canned, but that's it).

Easy Red Beans
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
6-8oz kielbasa, sliced into bite size coins
1 (15oz) can of red beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
Oregano to taste
Thyme to taste
Cornbread, for serving (recipe in post below)

Place first four ingredients into a skillet (make sure you put a little oil in the bottom of the skillet) over medium heat and cook until onions are soft (about 7 minutes). Add the rest of the ingredients and cook 3 more minutes. Serve with corn bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment