Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday Pork Roast

If you are at a loss when it comes to finding cook books that have recipes for real people who eat real food, I highly recommend looking into the Gooseberry Patch collection. Their cookbooks always have practical dishes that include recognizable ingredients and are fairly simple to put together. I honestly could see myself making almost every one of their recipes in my Family Dinners Gooseberry Patch cook book. (Hint: great gift for newlyweds with little experience in the kitchen).

My mom bought me a pork roast when she was up in Kentucky for my graduation and I have recently been trying to explore the world of wine, so a pork roast with white wine seemed like a great choice. I love my gas stove and oven and the kitchen is really beginning to come together. My roommate and I went out and bought an old baker's cabinet from 1950. It's in really good condition, is sturdy, and is light weight. Who knew that "sturdy" and "light weight" could coexist?


I have inherited my late grandparents' beautiful Ethan Allen dining room table.
Isn't the wood beautiful in this picture?

Sunday Pork Roast
From Gooseberry Patch
Serves 6-8
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T dried rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
2-lb boneless pork loin roast
2 T olive oil
1/2 large onion
½ cup white wine or chicken broth
Suggestion: Serve with mashed potatoes and roasted carrots, yum.

Crush garlic with rosemary, salt and pepper. Pierce pork with a sharp knife tip in several places and press half the garlic mixture into openings. Rub pork with remaining garlic mixture and olive oil. Place pork in a lightly greased 13x9 pan and place slices of onion around the roast.
Bake, uncovered, at 350F for one hour and 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155F. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes or until thermometer registers 160F. Remove to a serving platter; slice and keep warm. Add wine or broth to pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Serve pan drippings over pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment