Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Whoopie Pies (Whoopie!)


Whoopie pies, just in time for Valentine's Day.

If you are one of those people who insist on calling Valentine's Day "Singles Awareness," you might want to stop reading about now. You see, I am not one of those people. Honestly, I've only had a significant other for one V-Day in my life and he was out of town for it, so it's not that I am one of those lucky-in-love girls who likes the day because she gets gifts.

I just like Valentine's Day. I am single. And I like Valentine's Day. I mean. Of course, the day really should be called "National Chocolate and All Things Decadent Day." And anyone can take part in enjoying a good piece of chocolate some buttery lobster or whatever your fancy is. 

Also, a specific day to take the time to show your loved one how you feel isn't all that bad anyway. Yes, I know, you should do that every day, but it's kind of nice to have a holiday for it. I mean, we should celebrate Christ's birth 365 days a year too, but Christmas is a good time to slow down and really take the moment in. Same goes for V-day, whether you have met your significant other already or are still waiting.

As for me, my Valentine's Day evening is being spent at church with a 20 or so wonderful people for whom I am cooking dinner (honey curry chicken, brûléed sweet potatoes, broccoli, and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert). Fun, food, and fellowship with people I love, who could ask for more?

While you are appreciating the people who have been placed in your life, take some time to make and enjoy some whoopie pies, k?



I love minis, I can fit over 30 on one sheet.



Mmmm, all baked and ready to sandwich with frosting.

Whoopie pie filling is so addictive.


Testing my first whoopie while taking pictres, yum.


Cakes
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ cup Dutch-process cocoa
  • 2 ⅓ cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup milk

Filling
  • ½ cup milk
  • 2 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup shortening
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
To make the cakes: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla till smooth. Add the egg, again beating till smooth.
Add the cocoa, stirring to combine.
Add the flour to the batter alternately with the milk, beating till smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat again briefly to soften and combine any chunky scrapings.
Drop the dough by ½ a tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving plenty of room between the cakes; they'll spread. 
Bake the cakes for 9-11 minutes, till they're set and firm to the touch. Remove them from the oven, and cool on the pans. While still lukewarm, use a spatula to separate them from the pan or parchment; then allow to cool completely.

To make the filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the ½ cup of milk and 2 ½ tablespoons flour. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until thick. Remove from heat set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, Beat together the shortening, ½ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Stir in the cooked milk mixture and beat for an additional 20 minutes, until really fluffy. Sandwich filling between two cookies. 

A mixture of recipes from King Arthur (cakes) and allrecipes (filling)

Makes about 40-45 mini pies.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, these look so delicious. I love whoopie pies a little too much. My father-in-law always brings a bunch of the best ones in the world back from Pennsylvania and Cory's family devours them within a day. But mini pies! I need to try making those...and hiding them:)!

    ReplyDelete