Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolutions (and a bit about croissants)

So the week leading up to the new year was filled with joy and craziness for me. I made all of Christmas Eve and Christmas dinners by myself and had a wonderful time trying new recipes. Also, two of my dearest friends were married in one of the most meaningful wedding ceremonies I've seen; the ceremony truly represented the couple's commitment to serving God and others through their relationship with each other.

Of course, like any wedding, there was definitely some frantic scrambling (um, try running out to radio shack during the reception so that we could have a sound system for the first dance...). In honor the of the craziness, but totally worth it and completely beautiful, wedding, I am posting a recipe for one of the most talk-about and revered foods, croissants. Most people think you have to be crazy to attempt these (yes, these are the beauties I spoke of the other day when mentioning that I was making something at 3am). You don't have to be crazy though, you just need a bit of patience. This is definitely a 2-3 day process, but it is not terribly hands-on or labor-intensive. Definitely try it. It will be worth saying that you've done it.

It was actually my 2011 New Year's resolution to make croissants from scratch. It only took me until late December to get around to.... it still counts though! I completed my resolution =).

Now, I am too lazy to re-invent the wheel, so I will be pointing you to several online tutorials for croissants and you can choose your favorite. I personally used Peter Reinhart's croissant recipe in Artisan Breads Every Day and highly recommend purchasing it (every recipe I have made from it has turned out extremely well, though make sure to use the weight measurements, not volume.






Alas, if you choose to skip checking Reinhart's book out from your local library or actually purchasing it, these recipes from some blogs will also work:

How Sweet It Is

La Tartine Gourmande

Delicious Days


P.S.
In case you are wondering what my resolution is this year, I believe it will be to make either a leg of lamb or a 7 layer Italian cream cake. I give myself some leeway by saying I will do either one or the other... is that cheating? Also, I intend to go to at least one yoga class a week this year. I went to a bikram yoga class for the first time this morning and didn't pass out, hyperventilate, or die. I'd say this is going to be a good a year. Btw, by the end of 2012, I will have my Master's degree, hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment