Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mmmm, Pumpkin


Deliciousness!


If you think making homemade biscuits is intimidating, then you don't own a pastry blender. Before I bought my hand-dandy pastry blender for a mere $2.50, I dreaded cutting butter into anything, especially biscuits, but now I am fine -nay, excited- to make biscuits! I am no longer afraid of cutting in butter and the mess that it leaves on my hands.

I realized I had some extra pumpkin that I had frozen a while back that needed to be used, and pumpkin biscuits just seemed perfect for this overcast and chilly day. The two year-old boy and I made them this morning and had a blast. He refused to mix the pumpkin in though and kept saying "yuck!" when he saw me do it. Oh well, he certainly liked eating them! I will be terribly sad when I say good-bye to him next week and start a new job for the summer. Just thinking about how next week is my last got me crying at the library toddler-time on Tuesday.

Ah well, time marches on =/.


Pumpkin Biscuits from Scratch!
Adapted from AllRecipes
Yield: 16-18 biscuits

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, or more to get biscuit dough consistency
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup butter, sliced
2 cups pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a large cookie sheet (or use a silpat!).
Stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the pumpkin and mix to form a soft dough.
On a lightly floured surface pat the dough out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a round 2 inch cutter or use a cup. Place biscuits on the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm from the oven with a pat of butter.


Mmm, fresh out of the oven, still on my beautiful Silpat

1 comment: